Earnings-related allowance application attachments (FAQ)

See under Earnings-related allowance application attachments to see what you need to send us so that your application will be processed. When you submit your application through eService, you will be given a list of the attachments required, based on the information you have given. You can submit these attachments through eService.

If you do not have all the documents available when you submit your application, you can send them as attachments later. When we begin processing your application, the handler will contact you if any required information is missing.

Your daily allowance will be calculated on the basis of the 26 calendar weeks preceding your unemployment that fulfil your employment condition. Therefore you must submit your wage details for that entire period to the KOKO unemployment fund. Your most recent wage statement does not include all the information needed to calculate your daily allowance. This information includes

  • your monthly salary and how it has changed during the entire calculation period,
  • holiday bonus,
  • holiday compensation,
  • any increments (performance bonuses, overtime bonuses, etc.) and the periods in which they were accrued,
  • absences without pay and the reasons for them, and
  • any other compensation paid on the occasion of the termination of employment.

A pay certificate drawn up by your employer is sufficient; monthly wage statements for the entire calculation period are also sufficient, provided they contain all of the details listed above.

If your unemployment or temporary lay-off started during the COVID-19 epidemic you may be entitled to earnings-related unemployment allowance after having worked just 13 calendar weeks. You must have at least one week of work that accrues the employment condition completed after 1 March 2020, and the first payment date of the earnings-related allowance must be no later than 31 December 2020. In such case, you only need to submit pay certificates (or payslips) for 13 calendar weeks.

Pay certificate for the unemployment fund

The KOKO unemployment fund needs to see your employment contract to verify the terms and conditions of your employment. The original intended duration of employment, the working hours and the notice period observed are among the things that we check in the employment contract. The employment contract is also the only document that indicates whether your work constitutes an employment relationship.

However, if your employment relationship began 3 years ago or earlier, we generally do not need to see your employment contract. An exception to this is managing director contracts, which must always be submitted to us.

If you have agreed on your employment relationship verbally, you must submit a report drawn up by your employer concerning the essential terms and conditions of employment.

Earnings-related allowance is taxable income. We can use either your salary tax card or a revised tax card for a benefit, obtained separately by you.

As an allowance recipient, we recommend that you apply for a revised tax card for a benefit for the taxation of your earnings-related allowance. In this case, we will apply the tax rate indicated on the tax card. This will also allow you to determine the appropriate tax rate specifically for your earnings-related allowance.

When you order a revised tax card for social benefits in MyTax, the tax card will automatically be sent to the fund within two working days. You do not need to send it separately. When ordering the tax card, please choose the KOKO unemployment fund as the payer of the benefit.

You do not need to send us the salary tax card automatically mailed to your home address by the Tax Administration, as unemployment funds receive this information directly from the Tax Administration. If we use a salary tax card for withholding tax on your earnings-related allowance, the tax rate is always at least 25%, even if the tax rate stated on your tax card is lower.

Further information on taxation of earnings-related daily allowance.

Fixed-term employment relationships, by definition, expire on a date that is already known at the start of employment. Therefore no separate notice of termination is given, and you do not have to submit such a notice to KOKO.