Adjusted daily allowance (FAQ)

On this page you can read answers to the most frequently asked questions about the adjusted daily allowance.

You can work part-time while continuing to receive a daily allowance. The daily allowance will in this case be adjusted, i.e. your wages will be taken into account in the amount of daily allowance paid.

Notify the TE Office of starting a part-time job, and notify KOKO of your hours worked in your daily allowance application and information on whether any salary was paid during the application period. Attach copy of your employment contract to your application.

Mainly, you are not required to submit your salary specifications as attachments to your applications. The fund will ask you to provide them if needed.

For further information on part-time employment, see Instructions for part-time employees.

Generally, all income that is considered earned income for taxation purposes is taken into account when adjusting your daily allowance. Income is usually adjusted on the basis of the payment period of the pay.

The amount of adjusted daily allowance is calculated separately for each adjustment period according to your income in that period. You may earn €300 per month without your daily allowance being adjusted at all. For any income above this standard entitlement, 50% of the excess will be deducted from your earnings-related daily allowance.

There is a maximum in how much adjusted allowance can be paid. The adjusted allowance and the paid income combined cannot exceed the salary your allowance is based on. Read more: Specific factors concerning adjusted daily allowance

Use our Allowance calculator to estimate how the income affects your daily allowance. For further information on how part-time pay affects your daily allowance, see Amount of adjusted daily allowance and Adjusted income.

When working part-time, your actual working hours will be taken into account for the adjustment period during which the wages for them are paid. The adjustment period is equal to either one month or 4 weeks. Your work is considered part-time work if your working hours are up to 80% of the maximum working hours of full-time work. If you exceed the aforementioned working hours limit in any adjustment period, you will lose your entitlement to daily allowance in that period.

Calendar weeks in which you work for at least 18 hours accrue your employment condition. When you meet the employment condition, your daily allowance will be recalculated on the basis of your income in the weeks that accrued the employment condition. If you meet the employment condition before your maximum period expires, your recalculated daily allowance will be at least 80% of the daily allowance you were previously paid.

For further information on how working hours in a part-time job affect your daily allowance, see Effect of working hours and Re-fulfilment of the employment condition.

When you terminate an employment relationship, you must notify the TE Office, which will issue a statement binding upon KOKO as to whether you are entitled to daily allowance after termination. If you terminate your employment relationship yourself, a suspension period may be set. You may contact the TE Office before you actually quit your job, so that you can get information on how terminating your employment relationship would affect your entitlement to daily allowance.

Unemployment fund does not perform profitability calculations or estimate whether one situation is more advantageous than another. If you are a member of an union, your union may provide you with advice on how to evaluate your options.

See Instructions for part-time employees and the Allowance calculator.